Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Bookmarks

I am constantly looking for new items, and particularly those which can be sold at low cost.  These fit the bill.  I have been using a wealth of free patterns, and some commercially bought, to make bookmarks.  Initially I experimented with "in the hoop" bookmarks, but. to be honest, found this method very time consuming and somewhat frustrating.  I have developed my own adapted method.  I cut denim to the approximate size of the bookmarks and then, using spray glue, stick these to the outline embroidered on plain white cotton (with tear-away interfacing).  I then embroider the main pattern, usually repeating the pattern twice.  I cut out the bookmarks and add a backing using spray glue, and then trim to size before satin-stitching the edges on my normal sewing machine.
These were the first set - and sold extremely well at the first sales where I offered them.  They seem to be a popular stocking filler.

I'm sharing this post at the following link parties:




circle_header

Create and ShareMade by MeWe Made it Wednesday

Show off your stuffWhip it Up WednesdayA Creative Princess
;
Pretty ShabbyWhatever goes Wednesday

Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Long gap!

Apologies for the long gap in posting.  Term started - and while I managed to do some sewing, it was not at my "holiday rate" - and then I had no time to photograph the results or blog them!  However, half term has now (at last!) arrived and, with it, a week to catch up on sewing, housework, marking. planning, blogging - and hopefully have a rest as well!
One more item which needs resolving is that the wonderful embroidery machine decided I was working it too hard.  I had horrible noises from it, immediately followed by an error message to tell me that there was a "motor rotate error".  I looked this up, and the upshot was that it needs a new motor.
Now, this is an expensive machine - and not mine, but on loan.  I contacted a local company to find that the cost of repairing was well beyond my means.  This is where God (and friends) stepped in.  Within a week, I found the servicing manual for free online; money had been donated to pay for a new motor, and a friend at Church had offered to see if he could fit it.  I now have the motor (bought a fraction of the cost of having the machine repaired) and the friend is coming round tonight to see if he can fit the motor here or whether it will be better for him to take the machine away to fix it.  God is good!
This has also given me the chance to catch up on putting the embroidery panels I had already made into bags, and to catch up on other sewing.  Hopefully the machine will soon be back in operation, however, as I am now in a new phase of bags and have also introduced other items which depend on the machine!